I have been working on my turkey napkin rings since before the power outage. Those 24 hours without power threw my entire week off, so it took me a bit longer than planned to finish these little guys.
I started this craft with an empty paper towel tube that I painted dark brown. I was able to cut six rings that were 1 and 1/2 inches each. For the head and the feathers, I chose cardstock in fall colors. When I could not find the correct color brown for the head, I painted a light brown piece with the dark brown paint.
I use a circle punch to make the head. I cut a gold diamond for the beak. I also cut a red piece in the shape of a comma to hang from the beak. I decided to use a glue gun to glue the pieces all together. I am still not sure if that was a good decision or not. I injured myself, and now have a nice burn on one of my fingers.
I glued together the feathers before adding the tail to the inside of the ring. Once the face was finished I glued it to the outside of the ring. On this turkey I did try to accent the feathers with black marker. I am not sure what I think of it yet, so I have only done it to one so far.
I tested it out a napkin ring on the plate we use for Thanksgiving, and I really like how it looks. It gives the brown plates a nice punch of color.
You may notice there are only five turkeys in the picture when I said I cut six. At some point during the crafting process, one of the heads disappeared. I have searched several times, but I have not found it yet. I am sure it will turn it up, and when it does turkey number six will join his friends.